BLF’s 2013 MLB Mock Draft V.4

by Matt Grabusky | Posted on Sunday, May 19th, 2013

BLF’s fourth mock draft for 2013 goes through the first 39 picks.  As always, these are out best guesses at this point in time, some more educated than others.  We will be posting a final mock right before the draft.

Pick  Team  Player  Position  School
  First Round
    1  Astros  Kris Bryant     3B  San Diego
    2  Cubs  Mark Appel     RHP  Stanford
    3  Rockies  Jonathan Gray     RHP  Oklahoma
    4  Twins  Sean Manaea     LHP  Indiana State
    5  Indians  Austin Meadows     OF  Grayson (GA)
    6  Marlins  Clint Frazier     OF  Loganville (GA)
    7  Red Sox  Kohl Stewart     RHP  St. Pius X (TX)
    8  Royals  Ryne Stanek     RHP  Arkansas
    9  Pirates  Reese McGuire     C  Kentwood (WA)
  10  Blue Jays  Trey Ball     LHP/OF  New Castle (IN)
  11  Mets  Colin Moran     3B  North Carolina
  12  Mariners  Braden Shipley     RHP  Nevada
  13  Padres  JP Crawford     SS  Lakewood (CA)
  14  Pirates  Phillip Bickford     RHP  Oaks Christian (CA)
  15  Diamondbacks  Matt Krook     LHP  St. Ignasius (CA)
  16  Phillies  Dominic Smith     1B  Serra (CA)
  17  White Sox  Hunter Renfroe     OF  Mississippi State
  18  Dodgers  Ian Clarkin     LHP  James Madison (CA)
  19  Cardinals  Bobby Wahl     RHP  Mississippi
  20  Tigers  Chris Anderson     RHP  Jacksonville
  21  Rays  Hunter Harvey     RHP  Bandys (NC)
  22  Orioles  Jonathon Crawford     RHP  Florida
  23  Rangers  Jonathan Denney     C  Yukon (OK)
  24  A’s  Alex Gonzalez     RHP  Oral Roberts
  25  Giants  Nick Ciuffo     C  Lexington (CA)
  26  Yankees  Austin Wilson     OF  Stanford
  27  Reds  Aaron Judge     OF  Fresno State
  Comp Round A
  28  Cardinals  Billy McKinney     OF  Plano West (TX)
  29  Rays  Phillip Ervin     OF  Samford
  30  Rangers  Kyle Serrano     RHP  Farragut (TN)
  31  Braves  Andrew Thurman     RHP  UC Irvine
  32  Yankees  Rob Kaminsky     LHP  St. Joseph Regional (NJ)
  33  Yankees  Eric Jagielo     3B  Notre Dame
  Competitive Balance Round A
  34  Royals  DJ Peterson     1B  New Mexico
  35  Marlins  Tim Anderson     SS  East Central CC
  36  Diamondbacks  Marco Gonzales     LHP  Gonzaga
  37  Orioles  Josh Hart     OF  Parkview (GA)
  38  Reds  Aaron Blair     RHP  Marshall
  39  Tigers  Michael Lorenzen     OF  Cal State Fullerton

1. Tom says:

Among the most bizarre mock drafts I’ve seen…

Best hit tool in college is DJ Peterson going 34? No.

Meadows will not go that high. Doesn’t deserve to either.

Twins will be taking Reese McGuire. Just got that feeling.

If Smith actually falls to 16, the Phillies are the luckiest team on earth.

Bryant #1 overall? No comment.

I hate the Royals, so yeah I hope they DO grab Stanek up there. Will struggle against big league hitting for sure.

Moran outside of top ten? Have not see that one in a long time. Looney Toons if it happens.

Frazier to Marlins. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be right on this one. I’m a fish fan. Best bat speed and best outfield arm in draft.

This is a very difficult draft to rank because of the Astros. We are unsure what they are going to do. Matt and I picked Bryant #1 because we feel he is the top player in the draft. Game time 80 power is one of the rarest tools to find (the only one that is harder to find in an 80 hit tool.) And Bryant has it. I believe that he can stick at 3B I have seen him numerous times. He has a very high floor and still has a great ceiling best combo in the draft.

2. Timmy T says:

Jonah Wesely?

Tom, I’ve heard McGuire to the Twins talk and it is possible. The reason he is at the Pirates here is that they are the team that has been heaviest on him since his season started. My guess on Meadows is that his package of tools will get him drafted higher than you believe he deserves to be, same with Stanek’s stuff. I think Moran has a good shot to go in the top 10 and considered him to KC at 8. He is one of the players reportedly under consideration in Houston, so you could be dead on. I like Peterson’s bat, but he is not seen by everyone as a top of the first talent. I love Frazier and believe that is as low as he can possibly go.

Timmy, I am a huge fan of Wesely, but I have not heard him mentioned as a first round possibility in quite a while.

5. nmstar says:

You have Bobby Wahl much higher than i have seen in other rankings. What makes you think he’ll go in the top 20?

• Matt Grabusky says:

I was told a team in that range, was not told the specific team, would consider Wahl depending on who else was left on the board and just went with it. As far as rankings go, he won’t be top 20 in our final rankings when they are released.

6. Shankbone says:

A HS Catcher to my Gigantes? He’s a lefty bat, and looks good, but they haven’t gone that route except with Tommy Joseph in 2009 in the early 2nd round. Gimme Ervin or Kaminsky at that 25 spot!

7. Coach says:

Where do u guys see Sean Brady going? I know he is climbing on draft boards.