2013 MLB Draft Profile: Drew Ward

• 2012 MaxPreps Underclass All-American 2nd Team
  • 2012 Perfect Game Underclass 1st Team
  • 2012 Oklahoma City Oklahoman All-State 2nd Team
  • 2012 ESPNHS Preseason All-State
  • 2011 WWBA World All-Tournament Team
  • 2011 Area Code Games
  • 2011 Set the Oklahoma State Record For Walks In A Season (combined fall & spring) with 88

Links:

Statistics:

YR LG AB H 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG

If any of this information is incorrect or you have additional information on this player, please let us know at matt@bigleaguefutures.net

It’s about time

Yeah, we ran pretty late with this one.

I meant it’s about time this is offical.It just seems like this has been up in the air for awhile now and it obviously makes a pretty big diffrence if he’s in or out.Sorry for the confusion there you guys can take all the time you need.

Kevin, I was just kidding.

I’m happy he’s in, he brings another legit bat into the class.

I’m hoping along with his legit bat.He brings some respect to this class as well even just a little bit.

I had a feeling you were kidding but the way i typed that I played it safe lol.

How much power you think this kid has?

I see above average to plus power. The more I see him the more I like him. He will most likely be moving from SS but OF or a corner IF ate possible places for him to land.

I’ve seen him play 3B a few times.And he does so more then capably.We’ll see how it turns out down the road.But they said the same thing about Javier Baez and now there changing opinion on that as well.

I mean of course it’s likely but the point I’m trying to make is that I’d give him the chance.

I have seen Javier Baez in ext Spring Training last year. He has great instincts defensively but I am not sure Ward has them. I also think Baez will not future is else where defensively. I think Ward has similar offensive potential.

I’m pretty confident in Baez staying at SS.

As far as Ward is concerned.I like what I’ve seen from him at 3B as far as SS goes like I said regardless of if he can or not I would want to give him the chance just because.His offensive profile will do fine at every single position on the field and even DH I’d say.

So with that in mind you have nothing to lose and everything to gain giving him the shot.Worst comes to worst he goes to 3B or RF a little later.

I am not saying Baez couldn’t play at SS. I am a huge fan of Baez but I don’t see him pushing Castro off SS. That is the only reason I don’t see him at SS.

8. Sully says:

I like Ward a lot, I would have him at 54 on my top 100. Right behind Zack Collins

• Kevin says:

Why so low?

I only ask because he’s like a top10 talent for 2014.And now that he’s in 2013 he’s not older then everyone else a complaint against him before.And most believe 13 is weaker.So why isn’t he as high in 2013?

Also Kevin,

I knew you were going to make the starlin arguement for Baez.And i have 2 words for you…2nd Base.Castro goes to 2nd Baez at SS Rizzo at 1B and either Vitters or Villanueva at 3B.Which btw would be an unbelieveably productive infield.

That’s just how I see it playing out.It’s not like Starlin is some defensive whiz.And I really don’t see Darwin Barney working out for the long term.

Kevin,
        You do know I help out at a Cub’s site called Cub’s Den every so often right? I know the Cubs’ prospects very well. I think the Cubs future up the middle is Castro at SS and Arismendy Alcantara at 2B. Baez will end up in LF and turn into a Gold Glove winner.

• Kevin says:

Well,

I guess you’ve got me beat lol I can’t say I contribute for a Cubs Site so I guess I’m going to take your word on this one.

Ward would be higher for me, personally. I see him as a first round talent. His bat is strong enough to carry him, regardless of the position he eventually settles into.

I just think regardless of SS/3B/RF.The bat is wayyyyyyyyyyyy to good to be that low.For me he’s like a top15-20 talent at the lowest in this class.

11. Sully says:

Ward is obviously going to be ranked all over the place now, just because of the jump. For me, I like Zack Collins a little bit more, hence the reasoning behind having him 54. Thats a supp 1st round talent, and to me that isnt a bash on him at all

12. Rick says:

I still think hes top 10 !Sch a sweet powerful swing !