2013 MLB Draft Profile: Justin Williams

• Projectable
  • Plus plus raw power
  • Exceptional bat speed
  • 6.75 top recorded 60 time
  • Good range in outfield
  • Strong arm
  • Projects best to right field
  • Versatile defensively

Video:

Quotes:

Terrebonne coach Gus Brown-  “Justin is an exceptional athlete.  He puts in a lot of hard work with the strength, speed and power that he has. He has a great eye for the ball. They have a lot of guys who can swing, but they don’t have many that could put the bat on the ball the way he does.”

Awards/Achievements:

• 2011 All-Region
  • 2011 All-District 1st Team

Links:

Statistics:

YR LG AB H 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG
 2012  HS  9  2  8  .519  .637

If any of this information is incorrect or you have additional information on this player, please let us know at matt@bigleaguefutures.net

Love the bat.Really raw.Alot of potential.

To me the swing seemed slightly funky.Maybe it’s just me but it just didn’t look like the sweetest of strokes.

Thanks for putting up this profile though.I know personally I’ve been waiting for it for awhile now.

I agree about the swing, it’s one of the reasons it took me so long to post his profile. All in all though, the ceiling for his bat is awfully high and he should be a better than average right fielder, as well. He won’t turn 18 until after the draft, which is another plus.

Simply what I mean by that is that alot of time he seems like he’s trying to uppercut the ball.In game it doesn’t happen as often I’ve noticed but I’ve seen him do it alot so while I do love the bat Id also love for him to have a little bit of a smoother swing path.

YEa Matt I agree.There’s not alot to not like about this kid.I think quite possibly 1 of the highest upsides maybe top3 from the HS side maybe top5 entire draft.He’s really just that good to dream on.

• Matt Grabusky says:

“He’s really just that good to dream on.” sums it up nicely. It isn’t out of the question that he ends up the best player to come from the 2013 draft class. There are others I would bet on first, but not very many.

I couldn’t agree more.Obviously he has alot of work to do.But not only is he nice to dream on I think he has what it takes to make the neccesary adjustments and refine his game enough to be a absolute stud.

6. Shankbone says:

Justin Williams looks like the Courtney Hawkins of this year’s class to me. Guys with this type of potential just don’t fall too far despite the rawness. If I was the Mets I wouldn’t be playing chicken with that 11th pick and MLB/Bourn. I’d make up for last years mistake, if the opportunity arises and he’s there.

Mets fans are none too happy about Gavin Cecchini huh? lol

If I was the mets and I’m sitting at 11 there’s a few names I’m hoping are there with me.They’d be stupid to sign Bourn unless MLB allows them the protection they fully deserves(but thats a diffrent arguement entirely) none the less they should keep 11 and draft 1 of the following:

Jonathan Crawford:You might say another SP?Isn’t that what they have a good amount of? But to me having a arm like this in the system is never a bad thing and he’d be a relatively quick riser.

Reese McGuie:I Think he should be there although he could be gone.If he’s there a bat like this who can stick behind the plate with his defensive abilities he could be absolutely special.

JP Crawford:A SS with a great bat who can stick up the middle.I don’t know if you can find a reason why that’d be a bad thing.

Ian Clarkin:LHP is something the Mets don’t have alot of I’d say.Wheeler Syndergaard Harvey Familia Tapia Fulmer Montero all of these are RHP.They could deffinately use a LHP with this kind of upside in the system I’d say.

Obviously there’s a few others like Bobby Wahl and Jon Denney Trey Ball and such but I think they’d be better of taking 1 of the 4 I mentioned.