2013 MLB Draft Profile: Andy McGuire

Bats/Throws:  R/R
2013 Class:  HS Senior
Committed To:  Texas

Scouting Report:

• Very athletic
  • Simple swing
  • Line drive hitter with some pull power
  • Quick bat
  • Gets the bat on the ball
  • 6.88 top recorded 60 time
  • Plus arm
  • Good range
  • Quick reactions in the field
  • Chance to stick at short, but excellent third base tools

Video:

Quotes:

Awards/Achievements:

• 2013 Voted Most Athletic Senior at James Madison High School
  • 2012 USA Baseball 18U National Team
  • 2012 Perfect Game Best Infield Arm, Mid-Atlantic Region
  • 2012 Perfect Game Underclass 1st Team
  • 2012 All-District
  • 2012 ESPNHS Preseason All-State
  • 2011 Perfect Game Underclass High Honorable Mention
  • 2011 PG National Games MVP (East)
  • 2011 All-Liberty District 1st Team
  • 2011 First ever player from Virginia to sign NLI for baseball at Texas

Links:

Statistics:

YR LG AB H 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG

If any of this information is incorrect or you have additional information on this player, please let us know at matt@bigleaguefutures.net

Can’t wait to see how his spring goes.One of the bigger wildcards in the draft in my opinion.

I really wish I could see him play in the spring. He’s going to be healthy for the first time in quite a while, so I have high hopes.

This Draft being called Weak is stupid already.There’s no logical explanation as to why.Before it was weak up the middle.But with like 3-4 1st Round C and possibly as many as 3 SS maybe 4 with Andy McGuire(Mercado Crawford Hernandez)now you have Hollon Sheffield Salazar Stewart and the other RHP at the top.The LHP is obviously strong.

I just don’t see how this is a weak class.I was told if the college side is weak then the HS has to make up for it.I believe the HS side with all those names including guys like Meadows and Frazier more then make up for it.Not to mention Stanek Manaea Crawford is a better top3 in my opinion then Appel Zimmer and Gausman.And Appel is technically apart of this class so.

The first few rounds have the players that have the most talent and the talent after around round 3 is harder to find. But this is the type of draft that surprises come out of. To me I have seen some players that maybe surprised that may come out of this draft and it will be a better draft then originally thought.

I just simply think some of these experts are wrong.No 2 ways about it.There being overly harsh on certain aspects.

Like I said in my above Post you have all those HS C and then JP Crawford Oscar Mercado Chris Rivera Jan Hernandez.How is that not better up the middle then most draft classes?

Stanek has the most upside of all the college SP the past 2 drafts.So right there gives this class a nice distinction then you add in Manaea who some people argue is even better and you have a nice top2 for College SP.Personally I just think people were to quick to rush to judgement on this class and these so called prospect experts have a hard time admitting they were wrong.

5. Bonnie says:

How can a kid who is “going to be healthy for the first time in quite a while” be so highly regarded? Especially for a high school kid. Unproven at the next level. All these baseball sites are the same. All the list of players are the same. Everyone is an expert. I don’t get the logic behind a LOT of these picks. Go figure. Also…who are these players that you are profliing?

Bonnie,
      The reason he is so highly regarded is the fact that even injured he was able to play at a very high level. Did his injury hurt him in the draft yes, without the injury he may have been the #1 SS in the draft.
      As for what type of site we are? We are an amateur baseball site that focuses on the players. We also some of the most in depth draft coverage you will find. And we are expanding.

• Andrew Cooney says:

I played with Andy the past two years at Madison High School and he is without a doubt the best player I’ve seen at the high school level. Despite being injured all last spring season he still hit near .400 with 3 home runs. He is fast, has an incredible arm, and tremendous range. He is still a bit raw but will continue to improve at the next level especially as far as his power is concerned. He will be a great asset to any team that elects to draft him

Because he had a pretty solid showing while injured.Which leads 1 to believe he’d be even better once healthy.

Also he’s a SS with a outstanding bat and good size to his frame so he has alot of upside in my opinion.

And what logic dont get you get behind what picks? Not to mention you don’t even know who is being profiled on the website?

I honestly have no idea what point you were trying to make lol.That prospect websites are stupid I guess? But this isn’t even a prospect website really its a Draft website.
    McGuire is highly regarded as a HS kid entering the Draft so I don’t see how you have a hard time seeing that lol

If you don’t even know who these players are or why there being profiled how wouldn’t you understand the logic behind the picks?

Too me it just sounds like you have no idea what your talking about.

8. Langley Saxons baby says:

I played baseball against Andy for three years and we played madison at least three times a year. Never once did i ever think this kid could be a first round draft pick. In the past two years (6 games against madison) andy went 1-19 against us with a bloop single. We have some of the best pitching in the district but andy struggled to hit pitchers that couldnt throw over 88 mph and this kid is supposed to hit college and professional level pitching? madison inflates his stats and as someone who has seen him take BP and played in many games against him, Andy seems like nothing but an above average high school player. He will not pan out in the pros

9. Warhawk pride says:

Actually, Andy batted .439 this year with an OBP of .580. I guess you’re the only one he hasn’t fooled with those “inflated” Madison numbers.

If he’s just an “above average” HS player, how did he get recruited by the top college teams in the country and become the first ever player from VA to sign with TX? That Garrido guy doesn’t know what he’s doing. Why did Perfect Game give him their highest scouting score and name him a 1st team Rawlings all-American? How did he manage to outhit 144 of the best HS players in the country last year during Team USA tryouts, including multiple 1st round picks, to be the only kid from the East Coast outside of Florida to make the 18u Gold medal winning team? http://www.gamechanger.io/g/tournamentofstars/leaders

It must be those inflated stats that earned him 1st team all-District 3 times and 1st team all-region and all Met SS this year, not to mention being listed as the 3rd best prep MIF in the country by MAXPREPS http://www.maxpreps.com/news/TUI9XmK5ckKNl9mmckKkxA/top-10-high-school-middle-infielders-for-the-2013-mlb-draft-.htm

ESPN’s Keith Law calling him “the owner of one of the nicest RH swings in the 2013 draft.” MLB Network had him ranked as the 62nd overall prospect in this year’s draft http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/#list=draft . Baseball America named him a 3rd team all-American and one of the top 200 prospects in the country. And that 90+ arm across the infield and mid-90s from the outfield is very mediocre.

Yup, you’re right. He’s just an above average HS player that has the whole industry fooled, but not you. I suggest you consider something other than scouting as your profession.