Draft 13 – Jake Jarvis, Tyler Thompson, Dustin Hagy, Denney

by Mack | Posted on Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

I know that we are still around six months away from the 2013 draft, but I had the opportunity to talk to one of 2014’s rising stars.

Klein Collins High School (Texas) RHP Jake Jarvis has already made a name for himself as a sophomore (0.91-ERA) while putting up an impressive scouting stat line for PG (88-90, 92 FB, 72-CB, 84-CH, 88-IF throw, 7.19-60). I asked him: “you’re a high school junior and this isn’t your year. What are you doing now to maximize your junior year so the phones start ringing this time next year.

Jake answer made sense: “This year is just like any other year it’s my year to play the ball I play. I have to work harder than everyone else and be a step ahead so I can throw harder, be faster, and be smarter at the plate (also plays 2B). I just want to play the game to the best of my ability and go as far as I can and I know I have to out work as hard as I can to do that.”

A sad story out of Gainsville, Florida.

Press release:

The University of Florida baseball program announced on Wednesday that outfielder Tyler Thompson (Tequesta, Fla.) will not play for the Gators during the 2013 season.

Thompson would have been a redshirt senior after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the SEC opener against Vanderbilt last March. It was the second time he had torn an ACL in his career.

Thompson is on track to graduate in May. An SEC Freshman Academic Honor Roll selection in 2009, he finished with a career average of .280 in 154 games played (90 starts). Thompson scored 65 runs, totaled 64 RBI, drew 29 walks, recorded 13 stolen bases in 23 attempts and had 11 doubles, 10 homers and five triples as a Gator.

It’s sad to see good ballplayers go away due to injuries that easily could never have happened. My best to Thompson as he moves on in life.

David Rawnsley‏  @DavidRawnsleyPG

2013 RHP is definitely a new guy to watch for the 2013 draft. Thanks Baseball Prospectus

Dustin Hagy (C), out of Deltona Christian Academy (Deltona, FL), has seen his velocity climb over the past 12 months, with his fastball now routinely breaking 90 mph and bumping up to 92. The six-foot-six righty also shows a solid 11-to-5 curve that can come soft in the low-70s or with harder action in the 77-78 mph range. Hagy will turn over a change-up, as well, with some fade. Today’s video is from the 2013 Perfect Game World Showcase, held at Terry Park in Ft. Myers, Florida.

Michael Kahne‏  @MichaelKahne

@David Rawnsley PG 2013 rhp Ryan Kahne at cangelosi baseball college camp popping the glove in the low 90’s with in and out movement

Q – How does Jon Denney compare with other catchers in this year’s draft?

Keith Law - I think he’s the top guy.

I usually don’t agree with Keith Law on a single word he says.But he has a very good point about Denney.Between him and Reese McGuire for the best C in this class.It’s hard to really decide though between the 2 of them McGuire does have the good fortune of being left handed so that’s a plus on his side.But then a guy like Jeremy Martinez and Nick Ciuffo are there.For right now i’ll do a 1A and 1B with Denney and McGuire.

Also after watching the USA Baseball Prospect Classic footage.Keegan Thompson stood out in a big way for me.He may only hit 90-91 but his demeanor on the mound an command were both really good.He attacked hitters and he even had a solid curveball to throw into the mix.Deffinately a name to keep a eye on.Dominic Taccolini caught my eye.Maybe more so because of his unusual head jerk at the end of his delivery but never the less I did like the stuff.The breaking ball could use some more work.

Kevin, at catcher, McGuire is my number one, but the gap isn’t as wide as it used to be. You can add Navarreto and Okey to the talented prep catchers list. I know there is at least one more I really like, but the name is slipping my mind at the moment.

• Mack Ade says:

I don’t know why people seem to have gone in the other directon when it comes to Martinez… though, in my book, McGuire is still number one

• Kevin_Gallo says:

Mack,
        The reason people have gone the other direction on Martinez is the fact he is the same player and has not changed since is Sophmore year.

• E-Dub says:

I’m with you, Mack. And Martinez certainly is not the same player he was as a sophomore, as he’s refined his catching game, worked on molding his body (which is the primary gripe about him), and has another year of high level showcases and games under his belt, including excellent NHSI and Team USA campaigns and a solid showing at the PGAAC. He’s one of the best defensive catchers and leaders in the draft, and a team that concentrates on that instead of his Baby Molina physique is going to reap the rewards.

I feel the same way Mack.Martinez was looked at as like a top10 talent in the entire Draft Class Prep or College when things first got under way.I don’t think he’s done anything to hurt himself other guys have really stepped up and also I think sort’ve how Clint Frazier gets a ding for being physically mature without much growth or projection left the same is said for Martinez.Personally I think he’s a very very very talented C but McGuire takes the cake wit Denney both of whom have IMO plus catch and throw ability and both have very nice bats with good power potential I’d say.I really like Okey myself.But i’ve heard more and more about him possibly moving to like 2B or something which I didn’t understand because I thought C would be the more premium position defensively.Ciuffo and Navvaretto I really like also I think both have underrated bats and Navvaretto is underrated in general.Also Francis Christy Chuckie Robinson and Gavin Collins aren’t quite as well known as the others i mentioned but all 3 strike me as very good C.I think Matt by now knows how much I like robinson lol.

• Mack Ade says:

Kevin, you don’t want to go into these mock drafts high up in the first few ones… you have no place to go down until your season starts

I also forgot to mention Tyler Alamo and Zack Collins.But Collins is a 1B prospect in my mind.I just don’t see him being able to stick behind the plate long term which is just fine because the bat is outstanding.

BTW in the brief footage of that kid Hagy.I really liked what I saw.He’s someone I’ll deffinately be keeping a eye on moving forward.Also Matt I think you really should do a Draft Profile on both Gavin Collins and Francis Christy as well as Keegan Thompson.I’m just now realizing just how good Thompson especially but all 3 are.The first 2 are C as i mentioned before and Collins is a big built C at that but I really like both bats.Thats what truely stook out to me.Thompson on the other hand he just looks like a bulldog SP.I could see some more velocity down the line.I really do think he’s going to absolutely skyrocket up draft boards by the time june rolls around.Kevin Davis is my favorite underdog to root for.I also seem to find myself rooting for the SP with a funky delivery to not only succeed but do it as a SP.His pure stuff is nothing to sneeze at either.91-94 with a very nice curveball.Taccolini is another funky delivery guy who I like the stuff although in my opinion he’s not close to Davis pure stuff wise.Thompson is deffinately worth some attention as well as Collins and Christy.

6. Sully says:

This is by far the best group of HS catchers I’ve seen. For me, I’d have them:

McGuire
    Denney
    Navarreto
    Ciuffo
    Martinez
    Okey

The other ones Kevin mentioned are good too but all six of those guys are potential first round picks. Collins would be there too but I agree that he is a 1B down the road.

• Mack says:

2014 is going to be quite talented also…

Alex Jackson – Rancho Bernardo HS (CA)
      Chris Harvey – Germantown Acadamy Vanderbilt
      Ryder Ryan – North Mecklenburg (NC)
      Jakson Reetz – Norris HS (NE)
      John Jones – East River HS (FL)

Billy Mckinney needs to start getting some more love.He has alot of bat speed.I’m not particularly sure why he hasnt gotten more love to date.

8. Sully says:

2014 will be good, but I don’t see it being anywhere near this good. Jackson is a stud though, and I like John Jones and Jonah Girand a lot.

I could see at least 3 of the 2013 C going in the first round.BY first round i mean the literal first 30 picks.If you count the offical 1st round all 6 could be in there for sure.I could see 1 to 2 of them sneaking into the top half of the first round and I wouldn’t be surprised in the least bit at all if McGuire or Denney end up as a Top10 Pick if not both for that matter.

Kevin
      Matt and I felt the same way just look at the latest Mock we put together last night. We have 2 catchers going high in the first round.

I noticed that.I honestly feel like that’s a very realistic expectation at this point.Both are truely outstanding talents.