2013 MLB Draft: Top 50 Prospects

by Matt Grabusky | Posted on Monday, September 10th, 2012

These are our initial 2013 MLB Draft Prospect Rankings. The first 50 are being posted today, with additional posts of 50 every week until we reach 200.

These rankings are just one opinion. The players who I am more familiar with probably have an advantage, or in some cases a disadvantage. As is always the case, constructive criticism is appreciated.

Rank Player Position School
1 Clint Frazier OF Loganville (GA)
2 Ryne Stanek RHP Arkansas
3 Austin Meadows OF Grayson (GA)
4 Mark Appel RHP Stanford
5 Kris Bryant 3B San Diego
6 Oscar Mercado SS Gaither (FL)
7 Austin Wilson OF Stanford
8 Colin Moran 3B North Carolina
9 Sean Manaea LHP Indiana State
10 Justin Williams OF Terrebonne (LA)
11 Brett Morales RHP King (FL)
12 Jonathon Crawford RHP Florida
13 Reese McGuire C Kentwood (WA)
14 Karsten Whitson RHP Florida
15 Dominic Smith 1B Serra (CA)
16 Ian Clarkin LHP James Madison (CA)
17 Rob Kaminsky LHP St. Joseph Regional (NJ)
18 Jeremy Martinez C Mater Dei (CA)
19 Clinton Hollon RHP Woodford County (KY)
20 Stephen Gonsalves LHP Cathedral Catholic (CA)
21 Bobby Wahl RHP Mississippi
22 Ryan Boldt OF Red Wing (MN)
23 Ryan Eades RHP Louisiana State
24 Kohl Stewart RHP St. Pius X (TX)
25 Aaron Judge OF Fresno State
26 Trey Ball LHP/OF New Castle (IN)
27 Travis DeMerritte 3B Winder Barrow (GA)
28 Cavan Biggio 3B/2B St. Thomas (TX)
29 Cord Sandberg OF Manatee (FL)
30 Chris Rivera SS El Dorado (CA)
31 Chris Okey C Eustis (FL)
32 Phillip Ervin OF Samford
33 Jacoby Jones 2B/OF Louisiana State
34 Jan Hernandez SS Carlos Beltran Academy (PR)
35 Nick Ciuffo C Lexington (SC)
36 Austin Kubitza RHP Rice
37 Zack Collins C/1B American Heritage (FL)
38 Trevor Williams RHP Arizona State
39 JP Crawford SS Lakewood (CA)
40 Marco Gonzales LHP Gonzaga
41 Michael Lorenzen OF Cal State Fullerton
42 Josh Hart OF Parkview (GA)
43 Ryan Tellez 1B Elk Grove (CA)
44 Jared King OF Kansas State
45 Brian Navarreto C Arlington Country Day (FL)
46 Dylan Covey RHP San Diego
47 Corey Knebel RHP Texas
48 William Abreu OF Miami Springs (FL)
49 Billy McKinney OF Plano West (TX)
50 Kevin Franklin 3B/OF Gahr (CA)

1. kevin says:

When’s the next 50 coming out?

We have broken it down into college and high school rankings that each go to 50. Revised high school rankings that go through 100 will be posted this coming Monday.

3. kevin says:

Okie doke appreciate it you do a good job here I use this site as much as any for the Draft.

Thanks, Kevin. Things at BLF continue to improve and we are working on some things for 2013 that should really step up the site’s content.

5. Bryan White says:

Mr. Grabusky, with help from my Dad, I just became aware of your website. I am letting those players I know about your website, and I think other baseball players that don’t know about it, should. Please let me know how if there is anything I can do to help.

Hi Bryan, I really appreciate you letting other players know about the site and what we are trying to do. Honestly, that is probably the best thing you can do to help us out.

I really was just noticing.Guys like Justin Williams and Dominic Smith and Jeremy Martinez don’t have a Draft Profile.I’m sure there’s a reason for this I was just hoping they could get theirs soon.

To be honest, there is not a whole lot of reason for the order that profiles go up, other than trying to mix in “name” guys with lesser known players. I will try to start mixing in more guys from our top 100.

One other factor, if I get in alot of information about a player, then that one is probably going up.

I’m a bit stretched right now as I am also putting up pages for players who have registered for our showcases. I will be putting up a page to link to those, as well.

Yea I thought it was more a variety then priority approach.Which is really nice to be honest.As far as I can tell you can’t really find another list of guys so unique.

Can you explain to me what’s happened to Willie Abreu? Is it the classic case of not enough exposure at the right time and now he’s being swept under the rug?Or were people just really high on em early on and now that’s just simply not the case anymore?

10. Tim says:

Any word on some of the other jersey boys aside from Kaminsky and Oakley? Will you be doing profiles on Dudek, Thaiss, Dehart, etc.? Being a jersey native I believe this could be the best draft class NJ sees for a long time. It is a special group

Kevin, to me, there are just so many players who deserve recognition that I want to spread what recognition I have to give around to a wider variety of players.

I’m really not sure on Abreu, to be honest with you. He isn’t getting alot of attention right now, but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see him moving up by June, which in reality would be the right time. With prospects, alot of it is the latest guy to impress is the one getting talked about, but by June, it is the guys who can play.

Tim, you are right about the talent up there, it is definitely pretty high. Thats why we decided to do one of our first showcases is New Jersey. Recently, we have done profiles on Jesse Roth, and Alemais (NY), and also featured Marcinczyk in an Under The Radar http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/2013/01/09/under-the-radar-192013/

We like the area and have some contacts there, so I’m sure more will be coming soon.

13. Ben says:

I think you have Manaea too low. My top 15 would be Manaea, Meadows, Frazier, McGuire (C), Stanek, Appel, Wilson, Bryant, Denney, Ball, Moran, Mercado, Williams, Morales, Gonsalves.
    Good rankings tho in general. I am excited for the draft. From GA, so baseball is my life.

Ben, I completely agree with Manaea being too low and he will be higher when we revise the rankings. He is actually number one on Sully’s list http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/2013/02/03/2013-mlb-draft-top-200-rankings/